How do you prevent mildew on vinyl siding? Preventing mildew on vinyl siding goes a long way towards preserving your siding. Whether it is old and faithful or shiny and new, keep your vinyl siding looking its best. In this blog, we’ll give you a handy guide for preventing mildew on vinyl siding.
Preventing Mildew on Vinyl Siding Starts with These Steps
- Regularly inspect and clean: Vinyl might be low-maintenance, but that doesn’t mean no-maintenance. Ensure that you clean fastidiously in and around the area where the vinyl siding is mounted. Mildew loves dampness and moisture, so pay particular attention to where your siding could meet sources of water. Also investigate more closely the spots that are darker and have more shade. Mildew could hide in there. Your walls are another important consideration to keep in mind: clean them on an annual basis, at the least. You’ll want to be sure no grime is building up.
- Keep your gutters maintained: Another vital step in repelling mildew is keep your gutters maintained. You want to be sure that they are clean and are in proper working order. Rainwater runoff can clog or cause leaks, which in turn cause further moisture problems. If needed, it may be best to repair or replace your gutters.
- Make sure your dryer vents are working: This might not seem obvious, but dryer vents do exhale water vapor. This water vapor is moisture and condensation from the dryers getting rid of the dampness on wet clothes. Ensure that your dryer vents are working correctly, and check on the siding around it.
- Consider your surrounding greenery: Greenery can beautify your yard. But it can also be an enemy to your siding. The north side of your home tends to be the darker side. So consider the plants and trees and shrubs that you place there; think about planting less. Allow more sunlight to reach that side of your house.
- Eliminate mildew as soon as you see it: Whenever you do find mildew, it is best to eliminate it as soon as you find it. Cleaning solutions can be created using bleach or vinegar. Then you will want to apply these solutions where they are needed. Allow the solution to sit for 30 minutes, at least. Scrubbing and rinsing will remove the solution and should also take the mildew with it.
Contact Topper Construction Today!
If you’re interested in having a roof system or siding installed in your home, or would like a free estimate, contact Topper Construction. With Topper Construction, you’ll see the benefit of nearly three decades of experience. Contact Topper Construction at 301-874-0220 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in learning more. We can help you with projects in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Northern Virginia.